I think this might be mine and Josh's best project yet! So with sweet Baby D on her way we are trying to make some changes not only to the nursery but the house as well. First thing, that was a red flag for me, was our glass and marble coffee table. Josh hated it from the start...so he was happy to see it go! Ha!
I thought we would go with something softer like a large ottoman. I cruised around the internet and at some stores to try and find a light blue one. But after searching for weeks I figured I would just buy a used one and re-upholster it with the fabric that I wanted. Finding the color I wanted, the size and brand new was proving to be very difficult and even plain white ones are in the $200 dollar range. I just didn't see paying that for something that I just kind of liked. So I found this beauty on Craigslist for $30. It had good bones...but yea it needed some work.
This ottoman was large so I knew it was not going to be easy to get fabric at a reasonable price for how much I needed and plus I was not finding a fabric I loved. So while walking around Home Goods I found a fabric shower curtain that was so neat looking! It was light blue, like I wanted, it was large enough and it had a silk look to it. So I decided to buy it! It was only $20 and I would have spent at least double that if I went with fabric from the store. I went home and stripped the ottoman down, took the legs off and cleaned it. You could use baking soda and then vacuum it up. I did that with a combination of Lysol. It was very clean, but still you never know. Another way, is to spray with vinegar water and leave it out in the sun to dry. That kills anything funky too.
Then we covered with the fabric, using an electric staple gun. That part was pretty easy, aside from the corners, that was a little tricky. My partner in crime helped me =)...we folded it just like you would a gift box and it looked pretty good at this point! But I wanted to try and tuft it to make it have a more finished look.
I have never tufted before but it looked like something we could tackle. For this you need a button kit, a large upholstery needle and some regular buttons. First I made the buttons out of scrap fabric, this was pretty easy.
Tufting was a bit harder than I thought. Just because of the strength it takes to push the needle through the ottoman. Josh helped a lot with this. Once you get the hang of it though we pushed through it in an hour or so. You first put the upholstery thread through the button then the needle and then push the needle through the spots where you want the buttons. The needle will take all the thread though the ottoman and then you secure it on the other side with a button. I didn't take a picture of this! But this blog is where I got instructions from, so here are her pictures below. I did the same type of thing.
Here is the finished product! I LOVE it! I think it came great!...And for just $55 total for all the supplies and everything! Now, this will be a safer and more comfy option for when Baby D gets moving!
I am a follower of Jesus, a former television reporter, freelance writer, wife and a mom to a beautiful girl. I write about what we are up to...so our friends and family who are spread out all over the country can stay up to date...I write about projects I force my husband to do with me....because they are awesome...and I write about my obsession with eating healthy and living a chemical free life...because you guys should jump on board.